Qualifications/Education and Experience:
• Education: Masters’ Degree in Business, Public Administration, Nonprofit
Management, Social Work, or related field is preferred; or Bachelors’ Degree
(required) and equivalent experience will be considered.
• Experience: Requires five (5) years’ managerial experience in two or more of the
following areas: Public Policy, Economic Development, Community Organizing;
Planning; Government Grant Administration and/or Small Business Development.
• A minimum of ten (10) years of direct supervisory and management experience is
required; five (5) years of which were in the capacity of a senior management
• Sound administrative skills and strong analytical and reasoning abilities are essential.
• Must be results oriented with the ability to recognize, promote, and support the
Agency’s preferences and priorities.
• Coordinates program operations within the division, including work plan
development, monitoring, and ensuring contract compliance.
• Formulates plans, recommends policy, establishes goals and priorities, and
determines appropriate approaches for effective accomplishment to the agency’s
goals and strategies, including working with the planning department for
development of the agency’s strategic plan.
• Represents the President/CEO and agency on community boards, councils, and
meetings that further the agency’s mission.
• Provides guidance, as requested by the President & CEO, for program activities
including partnership development, marketing, media relations, and public relations
management activities. Promotes Agency/Division efforts and services; and
promotes Agency initiatives to increase community awareness and support.
• Oversees the hiring and selection of division and department personnel. Provides
direct supervision of the Department and Program Directors; plans, organizes,
directs, and evaluates the performance of the department and program directors; and
establishes performance requirements and professional development targets.
Regularly monitors staff and program performance; and provides coaching for
performance improvement and development.
• Oversees the development and monitoring of the division’s budget’s including
ensuring the division’s services are compliant with local state and federal
guidelines; and ensuring programs and services maintain financial stability.
• Demonstrated experience in budget preparation, monitoring and analysis and grants
development are required.
• Must have the ability to analyze complex data and use results to improve divisional
• Excellent communication skills are required, both written and oral, as well as strong
• Requires demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with, and get along with
diverse personalities, and levels of management. Must have the ability to establish
credibility; and be decisive, while employing a participative management style.
• Must have a working knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations impacting
diverse and underserved populations; and be familiar with practical applications of
antipoverty efforts, both local and national.
• Requires the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and
• Must be proficient in the use of MS Office, and Management Information Systems.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and access to own transportation.
• Knowledge of Community Action Agencies; and Certification as a Community
Action Professional is a plus
Results Oriented Management and Accountability Credential (ROMA) a plus; or
willingness and ability to receive credential within three years.
Human Resources Department
Action for a Better Community, Inc.
400 West Ave
Rochester, New York 14611